Please note that this teacher position requires fluent Finnish in addition to English.
Aalto University is a multidisciplinary university in the fields of technology, business, arts, and design. It opens up new possibilities for strong multidisciplinary education and research. Aalto University has 11 000 students and a staff of 4 000 of which 400 are professors.
Aalto Ventures Program (AVP) is the entrepreneurship education program at Aalto University. At AVP, students in multidisciplinary teams do hands-on exercises to gain entrepreneurial tools for solving real, meaningful problems either with their own company or from inside an existing organization. We teach the Aalto community to build like an entrepreneur for a sustainable future.
We are looking for a new team member — a university teacher — to join us!
We need a new member in our growing education team to design and teach courses about entrepreneurship together with other AVP and Aalto teachers. At AVP, we don’t push our students to become founders; rather, we want to help them learn entrepreneurial skills such as new value creation, user-centric problem solving, experimental culture, resilience, and presentation skills. Our education team has two different types of activities: AVP courses and integration courses.
AVP courses focus on providing practical tools, capabilities, and real opportunities for Aalto students to work in an entrepreneurial way towards a sustainable future — by eventually starting their own companies, by working as an “intrapreneur” in an existing organization, or by applying an entrepreneurial mindset and capabilities in their studies and life in general. Integration means including entrepreneurial content (both theory and practice) into existing subject-matter courses in a way that is relevant to the course content, in order to reach a wider audience with entrepreneurial ways of working and thinking.
We are looking for someone who has the abilities listed below, and who can work in alignment with our values. If you think that this is you, please apply now!
- Responsibility: We prioritize sustainability, hold ourselves accountable and take ownership of our actions and mistakes
- Courageousness: We go to the edge of ordinary and push beyond with the full knowledge that we might fail
- Collaboration: We foster transparency, and enforce diversity and inclusion, even when there would be an easier path to choose
Our long-term vision is that all Aalto students have an entrepreneurial mindset. Increasing capabilities in venture creation and entrepreneurship among students, together with all the individuals in the ecosystem around us, will result in a higher amount of world-changing, sustainable solutions in the market.
- You have experience in training or education, especially hands-on education, including online education. If your main pedagogical tool is lecturing, this is job is probably not down your alley.
- You are capable of designing, running, and scaling up a course (in online, hybrid, or offline formats).
- You have the ability and courage to give constructive feedback to students and colleagues also face to face, and to receive feedback and develop your teaching based on it.
- You’re a doer, you get things done in an ambiguous, networked organization, you respect the deadlines and deliver what you promised. If needed, you can use creative problem-solving skills.
- You are a team player, and you work well with different people from different backgrounds. Aalto students and faculty are international as is the AVP team.
- You understand entrepreneurship, innovation, creating new business, design thinking, or leadership topics through practice or theory.
- If you have some practical entrepreneurial experience, we will take it as an extra advantage.
- We teach in English and in Finnish. Fluency in both languages is compulsory.
- The formal requirement for the position is a suitable academic degree. If you meet this prerequisite, we are more interested in your skills than in your formal education.
- Together with other AVP teachers you will design, run, and scale up courses and training to convey entrepreneurial mindset and capabilities.
- Integration of entrepreneurial skills into bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral studies in art, business, and technology at the course and curriculum level.
- Helping teachers and curriculum leaders in other fields understand how entrepreneurial skills are a key set of competencies across all lines of work.
- You will teach and develop teaching together with other teachers in different fields.
- The opportunity to change the university education in a direction that better serves students.
- This is a place where you can truly make an impact by shaping students’ minds and equipping them with a relevant skillset for the future.
- A highly motivated and international team that will help you get on board and support your smooth start.
- Flexible working hours, guaranteed holidays, and good occupational healthcare.
- Possibility to develop an entrepreneurial mindset together with top educational talents and entrepreneurs around the world.
- A gateway to the world-famous Aalto entrepreneurship ecosystem.
About this position:
Fixed-term, until 31.12.2023 with the possibility for renewal.
Working hours: 80%–100% time, 29h–36,25h/week, half time in the future can be considered as well.
Starting date: Beginning of December.
Please note: Due to the current COVID19 situation, the border traffic is restricted, and therefore Aalto University cannot make an agreement on a fixed starting date for any new employee residing currently abroad.
How to apply:
Applications need to be submitted through the Aalto online recruitment system no later than 12.11.2021 at noon, 12:00 (EET). We will conduct the interviews for the position primarily on weeks 46 and 47, but they can be already started during the application period on week 45.
Please attach your CV and short motivation letter including the answers to the topical questions below (together no more than 2 A4 pages with font size 12).
Topical questions (to be answered in your motivation letter):
- What kind of entrepreneurial skills do all graduates of art or technology (whichever is sufficient) need?
- How should these skills be taught as a natural part of their own field of study?
- Why are you the right person to teach these?
More information about the position from Lidia Borisova, Head of Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358451349229.
Questions concerning the recruiting process: HR Coordinator, Saara Haggrén, email@example.com.
The place will be filled as soon as a suitable person is found, so apply quickly. For justified reasons, Aalto University has the right not to fill the position, to extend the application period, and to consider candidates who have not applied for a position within the application period.